Temporary Housing Situation or Homeless (McKinney-Vento)

Who is eligible for services?

McKinney-Vento Definition of Homeless *42 U.S.C § 11434a(2)

The term “homeless children and youth”

Means individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence…,; and
* Includes-Children and youth who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason; are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; or are abandoned in hospitals;
* Children and youth who have a primary nighttime residence that is public or private place not designated for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings…,;
* Children and youths who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings; and
* Migratory children who qualify as homeless for the purposes of this subtitle because the children are living in circumstances described in clauses (a) through (c).

McKinney-Vento Rights

Homeless youth can enroll in school even if they have uncertain housing, a temporary address or no permanent physical address. They are guaranteed enrollment in school by the federal McKinney-Vento Act and California state law if they live:

* In a shelter (family, domestic violence or youth shelter) or a transitional living program
* In a motel, hotel or weekly rate housing
* In a house or apartment with more than one family because of economic hardship or loss
* In temporary foster care or with an adult who is not a parent or guardian
* In substandard housing without electricity, water or heat
* With friends or family because they are a runaway or unaccompanied youth

To enroll or attend school, if you live under any of these conditions, you do not need to provide:
* Proof of residency
* Immunization records or TB skin test results
* School records
* Legal guardianship papers

You may:
* Participate fully in all school activities and programs for which you are eligible
* Continue to attend the school in which you were last enrolled even if you have moved away from that school's attendance boundary or district.
* Receive transportation from your current residence back to your school of origin
* Qualify automatically for free and reduced-price breakfast and lunches

Housing Resources

Emergency Shelter
Transitional Shelter
Winter Shelter
Countywide Affordable Housing Inventory
County of SD Housing Programs
Single Room Occupancy
Hotel/Motel Voucher Program
Permanent Supportive Housing
Other Housing Programs
Housing Services by Cities
Housing Services Contacts
Support Service Agency Contacts

For questions or support, contact:

Victor Carcamo, Coordinator of Student Services
657-267-7582 or [email protected] or

Kristen Crowe, Director of Student Services,
760-898-2715 or [email protected].